The Ontario government has recognized the shortage of affordable housing and is now promoting up to two ADU’s (additional dwelling units). A homeowner can add an additional unit to an attached, detached or within an existing structure in London, Ontario. Depending on your local zoning bylaws, landlords/homeowners can add an additional unit either by:
- Adding a unit within an existing structure- including adding an addition
- Within an existing detached structure
- Constructing a new detached structure
Depending on the circumstances of your property, you are entitled to create two additional units through the above means.
This ability can provide:
- Home for an elderly parent
- Rental unit to generate income
- Living space for a young adult
- Guest house
- Verifying what can be built on your property:
- Does your existing property meet the requirements for an additional unit?
- Does your local zoning by-laws allow for an additional unit?
- Will you need a minor variance or rezoning?
- Will your unit need to be licensed?
- Consult with City Staff on your behalf
- Determine and Design the optimal location and layout for your secondary unit:
- Provide the construction drawings required for the building permit application
- Apply and consult with City Staff regarding Building Permit Application
- Construct your Secondary Unit/Facilitate all necessary building inspections
AE Builders is a registered Tarion Home Builder.
Contact us today for a free property analysis.